Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away.


Let me start this off by saying that I usually love rain. The east coast of the USA has some really great rainstorms. However, Utah does not. I think it sprinkled maybe 3 times the whole year. So after living in Utah for a year before heading to the Ukraine, I was really excited when it started raining this past Thursday, September 6th, 2012. All that changed when it was time to leave the school to head back home. It was cold outside and the rain was not fun… especially because I had to walk a good 5 miles home, in the dark. Jenna and I literally pressed up against buildings to get a little bit of shelter from the rain. I was slipping and sliding down the sidewalks to get to my trolley stop. By the time I got on the trolley, I was soaked. Of course the usually pretty empty trolley was filled with people trying to get out of the rain. With no seats available, I was holding on for dear life as the trolley bus swerved to each stop. When I got to my stop, I was thankful because part of the walk back home is through an overhang. So I thought it was going to protect me from the rain…well, I was wrong… it was better walking under it but rain was still seeping through the wooden boards. At one point, Jenna lost a shoe because they were soaked and everything was slippery. After the overhang it was open sky until we made it home. The cobblestone street was even harder to walk on because it was now sleek and slippery. By the way, I’ll probably buy ice skates and ice skate down the street once the snow comes. Anyways, after making it to the sketchy stairs I literally held myself up on the rail, through the pitch black, the whole way down so I wouldn’t biff it and break my face or bum! Usually I use the flashlight on my hone to help me see when I get to the stairs, but it was raining pretty hard and I didn’t want to ruin my phone. Once I made it to the bottom, the inevitable happened. So, you know how in movies cars splash puddles onto people? Well, you guessed it. That totally happened to me. A van came speeding past me and right into a huge puddle that sure enough splashed onto me. I’m sure once we got home, our host parents thought we were poor, pathetic, wet Americans when we walked into the house. But, for the record, I totally would have brought a jacket or umbrella if I would have known it was going to rain. Either way, next time I’m taking a taxi. 
  

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart! What a "sog" story that was! I enjoyed every drippy minute of it!! I thoroughly enjoy all of the detail, and wouldn't expect anything less. You write like you talk...and it's great! Keep it up sweetheart. You and your posterity will enjoy going back and reading all about your adventure in the Ukraine! I'm so proud of you!
    May God continue to bless you and keep you safe!
    I love you with all my heart! Momma xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...you may want to consider investing in an umbrella and rain jacket. Oh, and once you get the wifi set up at your house you should probably think about checking the weather everyday before you leave the house. Maybe make the weather page your home page! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My poor baby!! I wish I was there to keep you warm :). Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah and bring me noodle soup... i mean ramen noodles. hahah :P

      Delete