Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Get in My Belly!



Food, Food, Food. I love Food. Recently, my family and I realized that we talk about food a lot! In emails to my brother Zach, who is currently serving an LDS Mission, we talk about food and what we eat basically every week.

 So, in an earlier post I know I talked about food and what I have been having… But, let’s face it there is still so much more that I need to try and talk about! My favorite food thus far is Borsch. Borsch is a beet soup that is delicious! I don’t like beets, but I love this soup… so I’velearned that if I like the food, it’s better if I don’t ask what in it. I have soup with pretty much every lunch and dinner. In every soup there are ALWAYS potatoes in it… no matter what.. seriously, so even if I don’t like the soup I can always just eat the potatoes from it. But, no worries, I still have potatoes with every meal. Seriously, I had eggs with potatoes on the side, for breakfast. I am really glad I love potatoes. Thus far, my least favorite food is… buckwheat. I’ve been given buckwheat as every meal as well. Buckwheat Kasha (Kasha is like their porridge). Buckwheat soup, or just plain buckwheat for lunch or dinner. Thankfully, I think our host family is finally figuring out that we (Jenna and I) don’t like buckwheat so I haven’t had to force it down recently.

So my meals: I eat breakfast and dinner at my house and lunch at the school.

Anyways, last week at lunch, I think they were out to get me. On Wednesday, after teaching ELE, I was starving when I got back to the school and ran straight over the kitchen to get some grub… and what was it… fish… with the spine… I, of course, had to at least try it so I can say that I tried it… and BLEKKKK, it was really gross. Plus, looking at the fish spin as I tasted it didn’t help.


Then the following day, I was excited because it looked like they gave us milk for our drink instead of some nasty tea or watered down juice that they have usually been giving us. Well, I was excited to drink milk because I love milk and I took a big ole gulp… and laskjf;klsjdflksjdflkjdslkfjsdlkfjadslkfjsldkfj…. It wasn’t milk. It was absolutely disgusting. It tasted like spoiled sour cream… words cannot describe… it was gross. Other than those awful experiences the food here is really good and I love it, especially the dumpling like things that they have here.

Oh so funny story, I’m not the biggest fan of kasha like I said in an earlier post, but this past week my host Dad gave me pumpkin kasha. He came into my room and asked Jenna and I, “When will you eat?”.. We said “Now” then he proceeded to say “We have Potatoes, and kasha with…. Uhh… Halloween…” Then, he started forming a circle with his hands… It took us a second to catch on and then it clicked. “Oh, Pumpkin?”… He then proceeded to tell us how good pumpkin kasha is, and that it is good for girls, and good for health. He told us that if we didn’t like it then we didn’t have to eat it. So, I figured I would try it and it was actually pretty good. It was pumpkin mashed with rice and then once you added milk it was a pretty good breakfast. Well after we finished eating, our host dad tells us that he can eat it now that he knows that we like it.. hahah he basically turned us into to guinea pigs to try his food to see if it was good. We had a good laugh about it.

This past weekend I also had some really good dumpling like things. I feel like Ukrainian food is just better than U.S’s food like seriously, the potatoes just taste better… and don’t even get me started on the ice cream. 




I have ice cream every day, by the way. Jenna and I go to the little store next to our school and get some, we also decided that we would try every kind. Even on the weekends I get my ice cream... even if it isn't at our cute little store. :P I LOVE ICE CREAM!

  















2 comments:

  1. I LOVE ICE CREAM TOO!!! You are sooo my daughter! Love the stories and pics...and I have to say, it's probably a good idea to just take a tiny sip of a drink first, to be sure it is what you think it is. We recently had some milk go sour here, and luckily the smell hit us before we took a big ol gulp...yuck! Enjoy your ice cream everyday while you can...once you hit 40 it's not a great idea anymore :/
    argh!
    I love you! Continue to have a wonderful adventure...and be safe! xoxox Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Momma, like daughter...Mom eats ice cream everyday, but she also works out everyday. I'll have to learn a good recipe for Beet Soup for when you come back at Christmas. Yum, Yum!

    Thanks for the food critique,
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete